One "competitior" company is Med-Ed. On their website they boldy proclaim a "98.8%" passing rate.While they do not specific which exam that refers to, they do print it on their flyer for their CEN classes.
I found this passing rate pretty high and had some questions as to how they calculated it so on 9/12 I called them. I called their office in Charlotte and spoke with the lady who answered the phone. She was nice and pleasant. I introduced myself and stated that I was wondering about their quoted passing rate. I asked her how they knew who did and did not pass the exam. (I do not have her permission to use her name publicly, so I will honor that).
She politely told me that they know the pass rate based on the number of people who have requested a refund based on not passing their exam.
Okay, I can buy that, I guess. But, what if someone doesn't even take the exam? I asked her this, and she said, "well, why wouldn't they take it?".
So I clarified by saying to her that she was telling me that they calculate their pass rate based on how many attendees request a refund for not passing; she said "Yes"....
Seems to me this isn't very scientific at all.
Just because someone doesn't pass the exam, does NOT mean they will contact Med-Ed for a refund.
I can think of several scenarios where someone would NOT be contacting them for a refund....
1) If the attendee is taking the class merely for CEU (continuing education) purposes and they are already certified as a CEN - they have NO NEED to take the exam! (I've had a few of these people in my own classes)
2) If the attendee does not take their exam within the 60 day window, then they do not qualify for a refund; there is the potential for many delays in this 60 day time frame. It takes at LEAST 3-4 weeks to get the "permission to test" letter from the BCEN, then you still have to make an appointment to take the exam. Some exam centers have very limited openings.
3) Another person who would not qualify for a refund is an attendee who has had their registration paid for by the hosting institution in a "flat fee" pricing structure.
There are other permutations of similar scenarios here but I believe the point is clear, there is ABSOLUTELY no sure way to know who has not passed their CEN exam.
The opposite is true however, you can find out who HAS passed their exam by checking the BCEN website and looking at the names of those who have passed their CEN. However, that still would not account for those who have NOT taken it yet.
I'll be doing my own research and study from an upcoming Med-Ed CEN review class and seeing just who is and who isn't passing their exam and running my own numbers.
In the meantime, feel free to check out MY CEN revivew book which is 10% off through the end of September!
10% OFF Thru September 30, 2009
Use code "LULUBOOK" at checkout.
(Click on the Book to Preview or Purchase!)
No comments:
Post a Comment