Mar 21, 2009

CCC Class Wake Med - Day 1 Report

What a day!
Just finished day 1 of a 2 day CFRN/FP-C course here in Raleigh NC at Wake Med. This was a 2-day certification review course produced by Critical Care Concepts and Rick Patterson. I was assisting Rick in teaching for his company during this class.

Their conference facility was THE BOMB. Rick even co
mpared it to some conference hall. He said "man this is like JEMS" the EMS today national conference. Wake Med (WM) has this AWESOME conference center across from the main hospital. It's got several multi-size rooms with sweet A/V setups in each. Nice central lobby, reception areas and a juice/soda/coffe bar (self serve)....it's freakin sweet! Just being in such a nice place, made us feel like some special guest speakers and such!

Class went pretty well on day 1. We ran long and didn't cover as much as we wanted. We hit most of the big topics, but probably ran a little long winded for most of the audience.


After course introductions and "settng the stage". We kicked it off with me doing the cardio lecture. This cardio lecture is always a tiring one. The one we do for Rick's classes is a bit longer (about 80-90 minutes) than
the stand alone one I do for my "CEN-only" classes. I think it's a good starting point however, and it DOES lend itself to some minor alterations depending on class prior expeience and knowledge level. Today's version we cut a bit short due to time and we dropped off the 15 or so, ACLS review slides. Instead of slides we closed out the ACLS with a 20 minute "core" ACLS review and Rick went impromptu as he finished the cardiovascular by hitting on the main ACLS bullet points. And, as always, reminded the students that if they hadn't attended an ACLS provider class within the last 6-8 months, that it's probably a good idea to hit that before taking the cert exams (CEN, CFRN, FP-C).

Then we jumped over to the flight portion of the class. Rick jumped right in and ran through the flight principles and concepts (gas laws, stressors of flight etc)..and as always, while I was sitting back watching/listening - I once again was quite engaged when Rick "does his thing"! Shortly later, we went to aircrew safety, survival and regulation to complete most of the dedicated flight content. And once again, Rick gets right into his "zone" and runs through this, lecturing effectively while inserting his anecdotes and war-stories as appropriate. Pretty cool this time working through the survival/shelter part using the big graphics on the LARGE screen; cool to see the "big picture".

Due to time concerns we carried the neuro lecture on into and through lunch this time. I was giving this one and probably where we started to see the early signs of the diverse audience starting to loose their learning thread. You start to see it when we start talking about some more "general" neuro stuff like Multiple Sclerosis or Lyme disease -- the people there for flight certifications are probably starting to think like "why do I need to know this"... So it's always a challenge to try to deliver it and at least make some relevancy to the entire audience.
Interesting, at the beginning of the neuro lecture we review the cranial nerves (Nursing 101 right?)....well when I threw up the "Old Olympus Towering Tops" slide, I got so many blank stares...? Kind of made me stop and think. However as this was not a "teaching class" but rather a "review class" - I just referenced it and pointed out that some people may want to spend some time reviewing this on their own before sitting for their exams. So I knocked out the neuro lecture and then we took a break for fresh air and a leg stretch.

We proceeded to head across the parking lot to the helipad. We all posed around the Wake Med hel0; a beautiful machine -- the EC 135 with their appealing crimson and white paint scheme. It really is an appealing piece of equipment - I hope the class photos came out okay!

Afterwards we headed back in for another lecture.
This time it was back to Rick for his ABG lecture. Now since I've known Rick, and since the first time I've seen him do this lecture; I am continually amazed and blown away how he does this. The first 15 min or so arethe groundwork for the topic; looking at some basic ABG concepts, pulmonary function/gas laws etc. Once that's done, the "show" begins. Rick starts to run through these ABG "problems" on the board. He starts off like a kindergarten teacher, holding the student's hand through the first few examples, prompting them along the way. Then he backs off a bit and starts letting the class work through the problems more independently.

Towards the end, the students are engaged and interacting. There were a few people however that just "didn't get it" completly and a few who were aking the time honored "calculus question: but what will I do with this in the real world?"... We had to try to explain to them that it's not so much that you'll be doing calculations like this bedside or stretcher side, rather it was a learning curve to start to drive home the relationships between the components and the principles there which lent themselves to overally pt management.

There wasn't a person who told us they had looked at the whole ABG/respiratory function like we just did here - I'm sure there were SEVERAL seasoned people who left that room feeling like they actually LEARNED something!


That pretty much wound it up for the day, it was close to 5pm and people were tired.

We'll be back hitting it early Sunday morning...bright and early at 0800!

Gonna have to step it up and get in our "zone" to keep this puppy on track.

Full day tomorrow, topics include...
1)Airway/respiratory/vents
2)Toxicology
3)Burns

4)Thoracic/abdominal trauma

5)OB/Neonatal

6)Peds
7)General medical

Gonna sign off for now, it's late and I gotta review some notes!
http://www.bemetweb.com
"...KMG-365, Clear..."

No comments:

Post a Comment